viernes, 18 de noviembre de 2011

ORAL PRESENTATION

VIDEO:

ORAL PRESENTATION OF OSCAR WILDE. Emma Polonio and Pere Gironella from emmapolonio11 on Vimeo.


TRANSCRIPTION OF MY PART:

Now I explain the historic context of Oscar Wilde.
Oscar Wilde lived two situations: the Victorian Age and the Crisis of Dublin. And I start with the Victorian Age.
The Victorian Age of the British history was a period of Queen Victoria's reign from 1837 until 1901, the longest reign of British history up to the present day. It was a long period of peace, prosperity, refined sensibilities and national self-confidence. Some scholars date the beginning of the period in terms of sensibilities and political concerns to the passage of the Reform Act 1832.
The British population, at the beginning of this period, was rural and they passed to urban population because the country became industrialized and it expanded a network of railways.
The British population was doubled, but the population of Ireland was reduced by half.
And the other part: Dublin.
Dublin suffered a political and economic decline because Ireland was part of United Kingdom from 1801 until 1922, because in 1801 Ireland sign the Act of Union. And Dublin suffered this crisis all 19th century.
The economic part of crisis was why Dublin don't play a role in the Revolution Industrial and they don't have a coal, the fuel of this time, and they don't have a shipbuilding, the transport of this time. At that time, the economic capital was Belfast, that they have coal, shipbuilding and factory of clothes.
The political part of crisis was why the government of Dublin passed to Westminster of London.

Well, one of the important things of Oscar Wilde is his quotes. He talked about a lot of things, but five things talked more.
  • About Life:
  1. "Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes." I agree with this idea like everybody.
  2. "I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works." I think that this quote is very beautiful and I like so much. He talked about his life and I think that this is a biography quote.
  3. "There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." It's a few exaggerarted, but I agree.
  • On love:
  1. "The heart was made to be broken." As Pere said, Oscar Wilde was homosexual and we can understand this quote because he didn't found a real love and his heart was broken.
  2. "They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever." I agree with this idea because we focus in try to our relationship during forever and we don't see all the beautiful things of a relationship.
  • About relationship and marriage:
  1. "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." This quote is very male chauvinist and sexist and I desagree with this quote.
  2. "Those who are faithful know only the trivial side of love: it is the faithless who know love's tragedies." I agree with this quote.
  3. "Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience." He try the marriage but it fail because he was homosexual and he didn't like women.
  • To ponder:
  1. "Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." I agree with this quote.
  2. "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." I like this quote and I agree.
  3. "The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." I agree with this quote of the part of the truth never is simple, but the part of pure I disagree.
  • About men and women:
  1. "A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." I agree with this quote. It's the same that be yourself.
  2. "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her." We can see again that he was homosexual and he didn't like women.
  3. "A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." Weeell, I don't want comment this quote...
  4. "One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything." Well, he's very male chauvinist and sexist and this part of Oscar Wilde I don't like.
  5. "The strength of women comes from the fact that psychology cannot explain us. Men can be analyzed, women merely adored." When I saw this quote I like so much, but I think that Oscar Wilde think other way and I saw other significated. Well, we know that women are more complicated than men.
  6. "I see when men love women. They give them but a little of their lives. But women when they love give everything." I agree with this quote. Everybody had seen the girls give everything but the boys (not all, but a lot of them) give a little part of them.

Well, I searched references of Oscar Wilde on our days and I found statue of Oscar Wilde by Danny Osborne in Dublin's Merrion Square. It's very funny this statue for the green jacket, the pink parts, the rings and the face. Other is the tomb of Oscar Wilde in Père Lachaise Cementery, as Pere said he dead in France and in the tomb said "I'm sorry for not stand up"., tipical of Oscar Wilde. The last is "A Conversation with Oscar Wilde" by Maggi Hambling, on Adelaide Street, in London. I don't like this statue but it's a reference of Oscar Wilde.

SELF-EVALUATION:
I was very nervous at the oral presentation. I knew what I had to say and I didn't read in all time during my presentation.
Pere speak better than me and he didn't read either. Nonetheless, I don't have much practice talking like him and I think for my English I did very well.
When you talk with a paper in front is easy to talk and express yourself because the only that you have to do is read, but when you have nothing, only your mind when you start talking and you don't have much practice, you lack vocabulary.

I think this has been my best oral presentation and I hope get a good mark.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario